Toxic Foods For Dogs
Alcoholic beverages are highly toxic to pets. Many people know not to let their pets drink alcohol but many pets if given the chance will have zero problems drinking it straight out of the cup. Ingestion of alcohol can cause drops in blood sugar, blood pressure, and body temperatures. Alcohol poisoning can also cause seizures and respiratory failure.
- Depression or Lethargy
- Vomiting or Retching
- Collapse Low
- Decreased Respiratory Rate
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Hypotension (low blood pressure)
- Hypothermia ( low body temp.)
Caffeine in large amounts is toxic. Depending on the size and weight of the dog and how much they consumed determines how deadly it is. Common signs are as follows:
- rapid heart rate
- seizures (in severe cases)
- possibly collapse is high amount are ingested
* keep in mind that caffeine is found in more than just coffee *
Chocolate is toxic for both dogs and cats. It is lethal because it contains a chemical called theobromine, as well as caffeine. Dogs cannot metabolize theobromine as well as humans can. Thus making them more susceptible to the effects of these chemicals.
Signs of chocolate intoxication:
- increased thirst
- excessive urination
- racing heart rate
- Muscle tremors ( in severe cases)
- seizures ( in severe cases)
- heart failure (in severe cases)
Fatty or fried foods in excessive amounts can cause irritation and inflammation to the pancreas. Causing that organ to create enzymes that can severely damage that organ. -pancreatitis-
- abdominal pain
- tucked up painful belly
Fat Trimmings and Bones
Fat trimmings are bad for both humans and dogs. Again this can cause pancreatitis in dogs. Bones usually are cooked in a way that are highly dangerous for dogs. They can splinter and get lodged in the digestive tract or even suffocate the dog.
Wild mushrooms can be very poisonous. Essentially any mushroom you know not to touch holds true for your pet as well. Be mindful while they are out roaming the yard. Symptoms very depending on which type of mushroom consumed.
Never give your pet nuts. Nuts like Brazil nuts, walnuts, pecan nuts, pistachios, macadamia nuts and peanuts are bad for dogs. Each nut has its out symptoms so be sure which nut they consumed if they ever do get into any.
Onions and Garlic
In good amounts this is okay, however if given too much there may be harmful effects. These can destroy red blood cells.
Can cause damage to the nervous system, kidneys and digestive tract.
- heart issues
Contains caffeine, which is toxic to dogs.
Grapes & Raisins
This common fruit in all of our households is highly toxic and can cause irreversible kidney damage/failure quickly. If your pet has eaten any they should see a vet as soon as possible.
Fruit Pits and Seeds
Contain cyanide and can be extremely harmful or even fatal to your pets.
The potato plant itself contains solanine which causes a variety of complications:
Try to avoid giving any parts of this fruit to your pets. Including the center.
- Breathing problems
- overall sickness
Seeds are very harmful to dogs and can cause diarrhea, and fever.
Broccoli can irritate your pets stomach, and can be dangerous in certain breeds.